When it comes to misdemeanor charges in Tennessee, you need a reliable advocate in your corner. Julia E. Stovall Attorney at Law, is here to provide you with the superior legal representation you deserve. With a deep understanding of Tennessee's legal landscape, our firm is committed to protecting your rights and freedom.
Call Julia E. Stovall Attorney at Law, today at (615) 239-1374 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our misdemeanors attorney in Franklin!
What is a Misdemeanor in Tennessee?
Misdemeanors in Tennessee are criminal offenses that are less severe than felonies but are nonetheless taken seriously by the legal system. They encompass many offenses, from minor traffic violations to more serious crimes. Misdemeanors are typically categorized into three classes:
- Class A Misdemeanors: These are the most severe misdemeanors in Tennessee and can result in up to 11 months and 29 days in jail, as well as fines of up to $2,500. Examples include simple assault and domestic assault.
- Class B Misdemeanors: Class B misdemeanors can lead to up to 6 months in jail and fines not exceeding $500. Common examples include first-time DUI offenses and theft under $500.
- Class C Misdemeanors: The least severe of misdemeanors, Class C misdemeanors can result in jail time of up to 30 days and fines of up to $50. Offenses like public intoxication or simple possession of marijuana fall under this category.
It's important to note that the consequences of a misdemeanor conviction can extend beyond jail time and fines. They can also impact your reputation, employment prospects, and personal relationships.
What are the Penalties for Misdemeanors in Tennessee?
The penalties for misdemeanors in Tennessee vary depending on the specific offense, its classification, and whether you have a prior criminal record. In addition to jail time and fines, some common consequences of misdemeanor convictions include:
- Probation: Instead of jail time, you may be placed on probation, during which you must adhere to certain conditions, such as regular check-ins with a probation officer, drug testing, or community service.
- Driver's License Suspension: Many misdemeanor convictions, particularly those related to traffic offenses or DUI, can result in the suspension of your driver's license, making it challenging to commute or maintain employment.
- Criminal Record: A misdemeanor conviction will become a permanent part of your criminal record, potentially affecting future job prospects, housing opportunities, and educational pursuits.
- Ignition Interlock Device (IID): For DUI offenses, the court may require you to install an IID in your vehicle, which measures your blood alcohol content before allowing you to start your car.
She’s both caring and knowledgeable.Laurel B.
Facing a misdemeanor charge doesn't mean you are automatically guilty or without options. At Julia E. Stovall Attorney at Law, we have defended numerous clients against misdemeanor charges in Franklin, Tennessee, and the surrounding areas. Some common defenses against misdemeanor charges include:
- Lack of Evidence: If the prosecution cannot prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, we can challenge the evidence against you.
- Constitutional Violations: We will investigate whether your rights were violated during the arrest or gathering of evidence, which could suppress crucial evidence.
- Mistaken Identity: If you have been mistakenly identified as the perpetrator, we will work to establish your innocence.
- Negotiating a Plea Bargain: In some cases, we can negotiate with the prosecution to reduce charges or penalties, allowing you to avoid more severe consequences.
- Pretrial Diversion Programs: Depending on the nature of the offense and your criminal history, we may be able to help you enroll in a diversion program, allowing you to complete specific requirements in exchange for having the charges dropped.
When it comes to misdemeanor charges in Tennessee, you need an experienced legal advocate on your side. Julia E. Stovall Attorney at Law, is your trusted Franklin misdemeanors lawyer, committed to protecting your rights and helping you navigate the complex legal process. Whether you're facing a Class A, Class B, or Class C misdemeanor, we have the knowledge and experience to provide you with the best possible defense.
Contact Julia E. Stovall Attorney at Law, today to schedule a consultation with our misdemeanors lawyer in Franklin!
- Rule 31 Listed Family Mediator
- Client-Centered Legal Counsel
- Trusted by Thousands of Clients
- Over 30 Years of Legal Experience